Pursuant to RSA 438, the Division licenses public weighmasters authorized to weigh or meaure any commodity or thing, or issue a statement or memorandum of weight or measure based on results obtained by using a vehicle scale. See Agr 1402 and 1403.
Requirements to Become a Licensed Public Weighmaster
- Complete the application for initial weighmaster licensure (see "Required Examination Forms" below);
the Weighmaster Exam Form (see "Required Exam Forms" below);
- Complete the social security number form (see "Required Exam Forms");
- Obtain a copy of the weighmaster laws and rules (see RSA 438:40, Agr 1401, Agr 1402, and Agr 1403);
- Pay a license fee (in accordance with Agr 1410.07 (a) and Agr 1402.06 (d))- call or email Dennis Marquis for the correct amount due;
- Pass the weighmaster exam and pay a $20.00 non-refundable exam fee;
checks shall be made payable to "Treasurer, State of New Hampshire;"
- Send the completed documents to Dennis Marquis, Division of Weights and Measures, 25 Capitol St., PO Box 2042, Concord, NH 03302-2042.
Examination Study Materials for the Weighmaster Exam
- What you need to know for the "weighmaster exam"
- Questions on the weighmaster exam have been derived from the material contained in NH admin rules: Agr 1401, Agr 1402, Agr 1403 (the rules for weighmaster licensure, requirements, and responsibilties) and RSA 438:40. Please note: the above link provides the entire set of administrative rules for weights and measures-- refer only to the above sections. Also, be aware of Agr 1411 (violations of RSA 438:40, I and of adminstrative weights and measures rules).
- The exam is open book.
- **Examinations must be scheduled in advance and are held twice per month (typically on a Thursday). To schedule an exam, please email Dennis Marquis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quick Reference Sheet for Prospective Weighmasters
Required Application and Examination Forms
Guidance Memoranda for Weighmasters
NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
Mailing: PO Box 2042, Concord NH 03302 -2042
Physical: 25 Capitol Street, Second Floor, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3551 | fax: (603) 271-1109