The Division regulates commodities sold by weight or measure in state commerce, and ensures and promotes accuracy and equity in the marketplace for both consumers and businesses. The Division licenses and regulates commercial devices used to weigh or measure commodities for sale.
What is a Commercial Device?
- A commercial device includes, but is not limited to, the following: cash register scales, deli scales, candy scales, jeweler scales, farm stand scales, and vehicle scales used in direct sales, retail motor fuel devices, vehicle tank meters, and LPG meters.
- Commercial use is defined as "weights and measures … employed in establishing the size, quantity, extent, area, or measurement of quantities, things, commodities, or articles for distribution or consumption, purchased, offered, or submitted for sale, hire, or award, or in computing any basic charge or payment for services rendered on the basis of weight, measure, or count…" See RSA 438:1,XII.
Licensure and Certification of Commercial Devices
- All commercial devices shall be licensed, inspected and tested annually.
- Devices shall display a current year or previous year certification stamp.
- There is an initial application and an annual fee based on each commercial device. Scroll down to find the device licensing application.
- To have a device tested and certified, contact a registered NH service technician.
- Please see below for links to service companies with registered New Hampshire service technicians in specific device categories in accordance with RSA 438:8 and Agr 1404.
- We aim to work with you by providing education and guidance to help you comply with state laws and rules.
For New Businesses
Click on the below "New Business Packet" link for device licensing requirements
Device License Application and Compliance Information (scroll down the page for method-of-sale and other guidance information)
List of Service Companies by Device Category
The following lists contain service companies with registered New Hampshire service technicians by category for testing, calibrating, and certifying commercial devices.
Method-of-Sale of Commodities
Method of sale specifies the measurement basis on which specific products may be sold.
Guidance to Businesses